The Lace Place Museum was built in 1990,
to house the Blackburn Collection. Mrs Margaret Blackburn OAM JP of Perth (1920 -1990) had a keen interest in history and lace. To her own inherited family collection, she added pieces from Australia and overseas and was able to incorporate several smaller collections. Her Order of Australia Medal was awarded for service to Commercial Education.
The Blackburn Collection, offered as a bequest to the Western Australian Museum, was later purchased by the Mouritz family in Hyden. The Lace Place was officially opened on June 29, 1993 by his Excellency the Governor General of Western Australia, Sir Francis Burt.
The cabinets designed by Mrs Blackburn and Russel Mouritz are made from Western Australian Jarrah by Mr Haddad from Haddad Fine Furniture. Information folios are provided.
Additions by gift and purchase are frequently made to both collections.
The display was arranged by Lace Maker / Curator Olwyn Scott, Valerie Mouritz and Sheenagh Collins.